2013 Photoshare Photo Contest
**Contest Closed** | **Winners Announced**
Announcing the 9th Annual 2013 Photoshare Photo Contest - a popular international event mobilizing amateur and professional photographers to share their photos for charitable and educational use.
The contest has a top prize of $1,000 USD. Deadline for Entries: January 31, 2014. Entries are accepted through Photoshare's Upload Photos submission form. If you already have an account just click on the Upload Photos button in the header to access the submission form.
Photoshare's 9th Annual Photo Contest features the HIFA2015 Photography Award, spotlighting the critical role of Healthcare Providers. The contest leverages HIFA2015 as a key partner to further expand Photoshare's reach and impact among health professionals working to improve the availability and use of healthcare information in developing countries. Learn more about HIFA2015 at: www.hifa2015.org.
In addition to cash prizes awarded to 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners, participants submitting entries to the featured Healthcare Providers category, are also eligible for an additional cash prize, the HIFA2015 Photography Award, sponsored by Healthcare Information For All. Best of Show images will be selected based on topic relevancy and technical execution by a panel of independent judges. Contest winners and finalist will be showcased on Photoshare and hosted on a number of other medium to high impact virtual venues.
The 2013 Photoshare Photo Contest is brought to you by the Knowledge for Health (K4Health) Project, a USAID funded project at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health Center for Communication Programs (JHU·CCP), in partnership with FHI360, Management Sciences for Health (MSH), IntraHealth International, and HIFA2015 (Healthcare Information For All by 2015), a global campaign administered by the Global Healthcare Information Network.
- Click on the Upload Photos button in the header to access the submission form
- There is no limit to the number of photos a participant can submit
- The contest is FREE to enter
- Deadline for Entries: January 31, 2014
- Contest entries help grow the Photoshare collection; learn how your images improve health and save lives.
- UPDATE: Winners Announced: March 6, 2014
This year’s contest features 10 categories covering a broad range of global public health and development topics.
Contest categories include:
Healthcare Providers (*Featured Category: HIFA2015 Photography Award)
Family Planning and Reproductive Health
Agriculture and Economic Development
Democracy and Governance
Global Health (open subject)
Human Interest (open subject)
Entries are accepted through Photoshare's Upload Photos submission form. Please be certain to select the appropriate contest category for each submission.
Cash prizes awarded to 1st, 2nd and 3rd place best of show winners. Participants submitting entries to the featured Healthcare Providers category are also eligible for an additional cash prize, the HIFA2015 Photography Award.
Best of Show (See previous Photoshare Contest Winners)
1st place -selected from all contest submissions
· $1000 cash prize and certificate
2nd place -selected from all contest submissions
· $500 cash prize and certificate
3rd place -selected from all contest submissions
· $250 cash prize and certificate
Featured Category (*winning image is also eligible for Best of Show prizesSee the previous HIFA2015 Photography Award Winner
*HIFA2015 Photography Award | Healthcare Providers Category -selected only from the Healthcare Providers Category by the HIFA2015 Steering Committee
· $250 cash prize and award certificate
Learn more about HIFA2015 at: www.hifa2015.org.
mHealth Prize NEW-selected by Photoshare staff from all contest submissions. Images should capture the use of mobile and eHealth technologies and projects.
· $100 cash prize award and certificate
Outstanding Photoshare Contributor -selected by Photoshare staff based on year round contributions and support of Photoshare
· $500 cash prize award and certificate
Photoshare Image of the Year - selected by Photoshare staff from all Photoshare images
· $100 cash prize award and certificate
· honorary award and certificate
Deadline for Entries: January 31, 2014. Entries are accepted through Photoshare's Upload Photos submission form. If you already have created an account just click on the Upload Photos button in the header. There is no limit to the number of photos a participant can submit, the contest is free to enter.
- All entries must be received by January 31, 2014 to qualify for consideration. Entries must be submitted using Photoshare's Upload Photos submission form on the Photoshare website.
- Any individual or organization, with the exception of contest judges, is welcome to participate (including both amateur and professional photographers).
- At a minimum, digital images must be approximately 1600x1200 pixels. Photos below the minimum resolution, collages, digitally altered photos, photos without completed captions, and photos previously contributed to Photoshare are not eligible for consideration.
- Photos will be judged on the basis of content (relevance to category) and quality (e.g. lighting, composition, focus) by an independent panel of judges for cash prizes.
- Entries that violate copyright or the laws of the country in which they were taken are not acceptable.
- By entering the contest, the Participant grants to The Johns Hopkins University, on behalf of Photoshare at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health/Center for Communication Programs (CCP), a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free license to use such photographs in its Photoshare database, and grants all such other rights, including the right to sublicense, the right to copy, distribute, publicly display or perform, and the right to create derivative works, as may be necessary to meet the requirements of the Photoshare database, and to fully realize and carry out the purposes thereof, without requiring The Johns Hopkins University to notify the Participant, seek the Participant's permission, or owe any form of compensation to the Participant. This agreement will apply to all photographs and other submissions supplied to CCP by the Participant and shall remain in full force and effect until cancelled in writing by either party or superceded by a subsequent agreement. The Participant understands that these images will provide useful information related to people, their living conditions, and their health, and that requests to use the photos will be carefully screened for appropriate and respectful objectives.
HIFA2015 (Healthcare Information For All by 2015) is a global campaign and knowledge network administered by the Global Healthcare Information Network, a non-profit organisation working to improve the quality of health care in developing countries. We are more than 12,000 health workers, librarians, publishers, researchers and policymakers, committed to accelerate progress towards the HIFA Vision: a world where every person has access to the healthcare information they need to protect their own health and the health of others - people will no longer be dying for lack of knowledge. One-third of members are based in Africa, one-third in Europe, and one-third in the rest of the world. HIFA members represent more than 2500 organisations across 171 countries worldwide, and interact on five global email discussion forums (HIFA Global Forums) in three languages:
- CHILD2015 in collaboration with the International Child Health Group of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, and the International Society of Social Paediatrics and Child Health
- HIFA-Portuguese in collaboration with WHO, Geneva
- HIFA-EVIPNet-French in collaboration with WHO, Geneva
- HIFA-Zambia in collaboration with the Zambia UK Health Workforce Alliance
185 leading health and development organisations worldwide have declared their commitment to the HIFA2015 goal.
With thanks to our 2013 HIFA Financial Supporting Organisations: British Medical Association (main funder), African Health Policy Network, Anadach Group, BioMed Central, CABI, Chartered Society of Physiotherapy, Commonwealth Nursing Federation, Council of International Neonatal Nurses, Global Health Media Project, Global HELP, Haiti Nursing Foundation, Health Sciences Online, Instituto de Cooperación Social INTEGRARE, International Child Health Group (Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health), International Confederation of Midwives, International Society for Social Pediatrics and Child Health, Joanna Briggs Institute, Medical Aid Films, Medical Education Cooperation with Cuba, Mother and Child Health and Education Trust, Network for Information and Digital Access, NextGenU, Partnerships in Health Information, Physicians for Haiti, Public Library of Science, Royal College of Midwives, Royal College of Nursing, Translators Without Borders, UnitedHealth Chronic Disease Initiative.
Further information: www.hifa2015.org
Contest submissions are judged by a select panel of volunteers including professional photographers, health communication professionals, journalists, and Photoshare staff.
We are in the process of confirming our 2013 volunteer judge's panel. Updates coming soon.
Photoshare encourages those who are interested in Photoshare’s mission to participate in the contest. The contest is a great incentive for those who would otherwise share photos year-round but have trouble finding the time. If you are learning about Photoshare for the first time, you may be interested to know…
- People who typically share photos with Photoshare – either through the contest or on an ongoing basis – are international public health professionals, community leaders and residents of developing countries, Peace Corps volunteers, world travelers, amateur and professional photographers, and anyone else interested in freely sharing photos as a way to promote awareness of global health and development issues.
- Participation in the contest does NOT require you to forfeit your copyright.
Participating in the contest is a fun and rewarding way to support Photoshare’s global efforts in health and development photography, and to help build the Photoshare collection.